Let me ask you three questions.
1. How interesting is your business blog?
2. What’s the noise level of your blog?
3. How do you unlame a business blog?
Metaphorically speaking, how do you get a two-legged lame old dog to get up and bound out the door, barking up a storm through the whole neighborhood?
Hang on, let me fetch my soapbox and megaphone.
Here are 10 new tricks for old dogs – er, blogs – to finally grow a pair of legs and become totally unlame.
1. Sit. Pay attention to what your customers are saying. Get some ego feeds. Listen.
2. Bow. Treat everyone as a customer and every customer as a dignitary.
3. Beg. Ask for things. Don’t be afraid. Ask your customers questions. Ask them to subscribe. Ask them to buy stuff.
4. Dig. Research things and publish the results. Find the bone in the backyard and bring it home, head held high. Make people want to learn from you.
5. Growl. Get guttural. Put some chomp in your bite. Defend your stance on volatile issues. Don’t back down.
6. Roll over. So you screwed up before. So own it and learn from it. Start over. Roll over.
7. Shake hands. Be friendly. A dog is a person’s best … exactly. Welcome visitors (but no sniffing, please). Linger. Let people enter your blog as guests and leave as friends.
8. Wag your tail. Talk about stuff that excites you. Let your audience share your joys.
9. Fetch slippers. Pamper your blog visitor. Offer a free product or service. Thank and praise and encourage commenters and backlinkers and Diggers and Stumblers and Deliciousers.
10. Dance. Do something unique, fun, memorable. Make people laugh. Get stuck in their head so tight their kids hear all about you at the dinner table.
… and one more:
11. Learn names. A great dog knows its masters by name and treats them as – gasp – inidividuals, even though they all form one pack. Find your pack. Find out who else is blogging in your niche and get to know them personally. Spend time in each other’s doghouse.
All right – what have you learned? (These are so simple – but you know what they say about old dogs …)
Please, please unlame your business dog blog. The world needs your bark. It needs your bite. It needs your loyalty, fleas and all.
As you sit, bow, beg, dig, growl, roll over, shake hands, wag your tail, fetch slippers, dance and learn names, you will unlame your blog and someday become a top dog.
So, how do you plan to unlame your business or professional blog?